Hyundai Exter vs Venue: Which Car Should You Buy?
Hyundai Exter has recently made its way to the Indian market at a starting price of Rs 6 lakh (ex-showroom). Sharing its underpinnings, features and powertrain with the Grand i10 Nios, the Exter has been positioned below the Venue in the carmaker’s current product lineup. But still, the prices of its select variants overlap with the Hyundai Venue. Consequently, potential customers might face confusion between Hyundai Exter and Venue. So to help you in making your buying decision, here we have compared these compact SUVs.
Note: Given that the Hyundai Exter only comes with a petrol engine, our comparison here solely considers petrol variants of the Hyundai Venue.
|Hyundai Exter||Hyundai Venue Petrol|
|EX – Rs 6 lakh||E – Rs 7.77 lakh|
|S – Rs 7.27 lakh||S – Rs 8.94 lakh|
|S AMT – Rs 7.97 lakh||S (O) – Rs 9.76 lakh|
|SX – Rs 8 lakh||S (O) Turbo iMT – Rs 10.44|
|SX (O) – Rs 8.64 lakh||SX – Rs 10.93 lakh|
|SX AMT – Rs 8.68 lakh||S (O) Turbo DCT – Rs 11.43 lakh|
|SX (O) AMT – Rs 9.32 lakh||SX (O) Turbo iMT – 12 35 lakh|
|SX (O) Connect – Rs 9.32 lakh||SX (O) Turbo DCT – Rs 13.03 lakh|
|SX (O) Connect AMT – Rs 10 lakh||–|
- The entry-level EX variant of the Hyundai Exter undercuts the Venue by Rs 1.77 lakh.
- Exter’s range-topping SX (O) Connect manual variant undercuts Venue”s 1.2-litre SX trim by Rs 1.61 lakh.
- The range-topping variants of the Venue are restricted to the more powerful 1-litre turbocharged petrol engine.
- Hyundai also offers Exter’s S and SX variants with optional factory-fitted CNG kit, priced at Rs 8.24 lakh and Rs 8.97 lakh, respectively (both prices, ex-showroom).
|Measurements||Hyundai Exter||Hyundai Venue|
|Height||1,631mm||1,617mm (with roof rails)|
|Boot Space||391 litres||350 litres|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||Petrol: 37|
CNG: 60 (Water equivalent)
|Tyre Size & Wheel Type||175/65 R15 Alloy (in top trims)||215/60 R16 Alloy (in top trims)|
Dimensionally, the Hyundai Venue is longer and wider than the Exter. However, despite the smaller wheel size, the Exter is slightly taller than the Venue. It also gets better cargo space.
|Hyundai Exter||Hyundai Venue|
|Engine||1.2-litre Petrol / Petrol-CNG||1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol / 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol|
|No of Cylinders||4||4 / 3|
|Power||Petrol: 83PS |
|NA Petrol: 83PS|
Turbo Petrol: 120PS
|Torque||Petrol: 114Nm |
|NA Petrol: 115Nm|
Turbo Petrol: 172Nm
|Transmission||Petrol: 5-speed manual, AMT|
CNG: 5-speed manual
|NA Petrol: 5-speed MT |
Turbo Petrol: 6-speed MT iMT, 7-speed DCT
|Claimed Mileage||Petrol: 19.4 kmpl (manual), 19.2 kmpl (AMT)|
CNG: 27.1 km/kg
|NA Petrol: 18.27 kmpl |
Turbo Petrol: 18.15kmpl
- Hyundai offers both the Exter and Venue with an identical 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine. However, the Venue doesn’t get the AMT transmission option. Instead, its turbocharged variants can be had with a 6-speed clutchless manual gearbox (iMT) or with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
- When it comes to fuel efficiency, the Exter hold an advantage due to its smaller size. And for mileage-conscious buyers, there’s also an option for the CNG powertrain.
Since the prices of Exter’s top-spec variant are close to Venue’s 1.2L S (O) variant, we have conducted a comprehensive feature comparison of both these variants.
- Common Features: 4 airbags (driver, passenger and side), 3-point seatbelt for all seats, ABS with EBD, electronic stability control, brake assist, Vehicle stability management (VSM), hill hold assist, rear parking sensors with camera, day/night IRVM, auto projector headlamps, LED DRLs, LED turn indicators on outside mirrors, tyre pressure monitoring system, rear defogger, seat belt reminder for all seats, ISOFIX anchors, height adjustable driver’s seat, digital instrument cluster, 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, steering mounted audio & telephony controls, power-adjustable side mirrors, rear AC vents, tilt steering, rear parcel tray, and adjustable headrests.
- Additional Features In Exter SX (O) Connect: Blacked-out exterior finish on pillars/window line and tailgate, alloy wheels, curtain airbags, sunroof, HD infotainment, Bluelink connected car technology, rear wiper & washer, dual dash camera, smart keyless entry, push-button start, sporty metal pedals (AMT only), footwell lighting, fabric + leather upholstery, automatic AC, wireless mobile charger, air purifier, cruise control, cooled glovebox, paddle shifters (AMT only) and power foldable side mirrors.
- Additional Features In Venue S (O): – LED headlamps, cornering lamps, 2-step rear reclining seat, wireless connectivity support for Apple Carplay and Android Auto, front centre armrest with storage, rear C-type USB charger, and 60:40 split rear seat.
Which Car Should You Buy?
Despite being more affordable, the Hyundai Exter offers tons of extra features of the Venue S (O) trim, which add to its overall value.
Buy Exter if: you want a fully loaded urban SUV.
Buy Venue if: you need a slightly bigger vehicle for the family.