Tata Tiago EV vs Petrol vs CNG: Which Car You Should Buy?
Tata Motors has recently launched the electric version of the Tiago that ranges between Rs 8.49 lakh to Rs 11.79 lakh (ex-showroom), making it India’s most affordable EV. With this, the compact hatch is now available in a total of three powertrain options: petrol, CNG, and electric, thus offering a wide range to meet the needs of different buyers. Following is a detailed on-paper comparison between all the three powertrain variants of the Tata Tiago so that you can decide which one is right for you.
|Tiago Petrol||Tiago CNG||Tiago EV|
|Powertrain||1.2-litre, 3-cylinder||1.2-litre, 3-cylinder||PMS Motor with 19.2kWh / 24kWh battery|
|Max Power||86PS||73PS||19.2kWh model: 61PS|
24kWh model: 75PS
|Peak Torque||113Nm||95Nm||19.2kWh model: 110Nm|
24kWh model: 114Nm
|Transmission||5-speed MT/AMT||5-speed MT||Single-speed auto|
- On paper, the Tata Tiago EV is the least powerful of the lot. However, its torque figures are on par with its petrol version.
- Being an electric car, the Tiago EV comes with clutch-free operation, which will add more convenience, especially in city traffic conditions. The petrol-powered Tiago also comes with Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) option.
|Tiago Petrol||Tiago CNG||Tiago EV|
|Fuel Tank / Battery Capacity||35L||Around 9-10 KG||19.2kWh or 24kWh|
|Full Tank/Charge Range||≈ 800km||≈ 260 km (CNG),|
Over 1,000 km (petrol + CNG)
|Per KM running cost*||≈ Rs 4.53||≈ Rs 2.85||≈ Rs 1.41|
|Daily Running Cost (Average 50km)||≈ Rs 226.5||≈ Rs 142||≈ Rs 70.5|
|Monthly Running Cost (Average 1500km)||≈ Rs 6795||≈ Rs 4275||≈ Rs 2115|
*Based on petrol (Rs 108.08/L) and CNG price (Rs 91/kg) in Jaipur at the time of writing this article and the public charging rate at Tata’s EV network (Rs 18.56/kWh).
- The Tata Tiago EV offers an MIDC-tested range of 250km to 315km, depending on the battery pack. However, the real-world range could differ from the claimed figures. The same applies to its ICE versions as well.
- The average 50km daily running cost of the Tata Tiago EV is much lesser than the price of one-liter petrol, making it an ideal offering for city use. However, it is worth noting that this running cost is derived from the public charging rates. Using a home charger will reduce this even further.
- Compared to the Tiago CNG, the running cost of the EV is almost half.
Also Read: Tata Tiago EV: Which Variant You Should Buy?
- In terms of features, the Tata Tiago EV is better equipped than its petrol and CNG counterparts. It gets connected car tech with remote AC on/off, auto headmaps & rain-sensing wipers, leatherette seats, cruise control, a tire pressure monitoring system, and multi-level regenerative braking over their ICE counterparts.
- Features like 7-inch touchscreen infotainment with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, Harman sound system, auto AC, steering mounted audio & telephony control, digital instrument cluster, height-adjustable driver’s seat, rear wiper & defogger, dual-front airbags, ABS with EBD, rear parking camera with dynamic guidelines, etc., are shared among all.
Tata Tiago EV vs Petrol vs CNG: Price Comparison
|Model||Price Range (Ex-Showroom)|
|Tata Tiago Petrol||Manual: Rs 5.40 lakh to Rs 6.83 lakh|
AMT: Rs 6.70 lakh to Rs 7.38 lakh
|Tata Tiago CNG||Rs 6.30 lakh to Rs 7.73 lakh|
|Tata Tiago EV||19.2kWh: Rs 8.49 lakh to Rs 9.09 lakh |
24kWh: Rs 9.99 lakh to Rs 11.79 lakh
Also Read: 2022 Tata Tiago CNG: First Drive Review
It is clear from the on-paper comparison that Tata Tiago EV can prove to be a good option for day-to-day use. However, due to its limited range and lack of charging infrastructure, it may not be practical on long-distance trips. Its high price could also be a barrier for some customers.