Mahindra Thar 5 Door: Expected Price, Powertrain and Launch Timeline
The three-door iteration of Mahindra’s second-generation Thar has recently exceeded the 1 lakh production-unit mark. And now, the carmaker is gearing up to introduce a more practical & family-oriented 5-door version of the Thar.
Although official details on the 5-door Mahindra Thar are scarce at the moment, we have some vital information about the vehicle thanks to numerous leaks and spy pictures: –
Design and Dimensions
- The new ladder-on-frame chassis will be borrowed from the new Scropio N, which is quite stiff compared to the existing Thar platform; thus, it will enhance the handling and ride quality, especially on highways.
- Save for the longer wheelbase (nearly 300mm), the exteriors of the 5-door Thar are expected to be similar to its 3-door counterpart.
- It will retain its iconic boxy silhouette with key bits like seven slat grille, round headlamps, flared wheel arches with chunky body cladding, and a tailgate-mounted spare wheel.
- The SUV is expected to receive new pair of alloy wheels.
- It is also expected to get Scorpio N’s Penta-link rear suspension for added stability.
Interior, Seating Options and Features
- The longer version of India’s highest-selling lifestyle off-roader will definitely get more creature comforts than its 3-door iteration to make it a more practical model for everyday usage.
- We expect the 5-door Mahindra Thar to feature up to six airbags, AdrenoX powered new infotainment system with wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto, connected car technology, a rear armrest, rear AC vents, multiple driving modes, and front & rear parking cameras over its existing 3-door model.
- The Thar 5-door will have individual rear seats, just like its 3-door counterpart. Additionally, Mahindra could offer a rear bench seat as an option.
- Going by the reports, the longer wheelbase Thar will carry over the 2.0-litre turbo-petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engines from the Thar 3-door, paired to both manual and automatic gearboxes.
- In an elongated avatar, the Thar is expected to get the 4×2 rear-wheel drive system (RWD) as standard.
- The 4×4 drivetrain is likely to be limited to select variants only.
We expect Mahindra to launch the 5-door Thar by the year-end.