Hyundai Exter Variants and Features Explained
Hyundai Exter has finally made its entry into the Indian market. Sharing its underpinnings with the Grand i10 Nios and Aura, the new compact SUV packs a 1.2-litre petrol engine and a few segment-first features. If you’re planning to bring the Hyundai Exter home, we are here to help you in picking the right variant.
But first, have a look at its technical numbers: –
|Engine||1.2-litre Petrol||1.2-litre Petrol-CNG|
|Max Power||83 PS||69 PS|
|Peak Torque||114 Nm||95 Nm|
|Gearbox||5-speed manual / AMT||5-speed manual|
|Claimed Mileage||19.4 kmpl (manual), 19.2 kmpl (AMT)||27.1 km/kg|
Hyundai Exter Variants, Price and Features Explained
Hyundai offers the Exter in five broad variants: EX, S, SX, SX (O) and SX (O) Connect. Here’s a look at their features breakup: –
1. Hyundai Exter EX
|Ex-Showroom Price||Rs 5.99 lakh|
Key Features: –
- Exterior: Front & rear silver skid plates, LED taillights, 14-inch steel wheels, body-coloured bumpers, A-pillar black-out tape and black finish rear garnish.
- Interior: Fabric seats, fabric floor mats, front & rear door map pockets, and room lamp.
- Comfort & Convenience: Remote keyless entry, manual AC, front power windows, power steering, height-adjustable driver seat, and adjustable rear headrests.
- Infotainment: Digital cluster with colour TFT MID.
- Safety: Six airbags, ABS with EBD, electronic stability control (optional), hill hold assist (optional) and vehicle stability management (optional), speed sensing auto door lock, impact sensing auto door unlock, rear parking sensors, a 3-point seat belt for all seats with seat belt reminder, and anti-theft alarm.
Verdict: Since it misses out on some very basic features, we advise you to skip this variant.
2. Hyundai Exter S
|Ex-Showroom Price||Rs 7.27 lakh (MT), Rs 7.97 lakh (AMT)||Rs 8.24 lakh|
|Premium over EX variant||Rs 1.28 lakh||–|
Key Features (over EX variant): –
- Exterior: LED DRLs, LED turn indicators on outside mirrors (AMT only), painted black C pillar garnish, body-coloured door handles, and wheel covers.
- Interior: Black AC vents, interior garnish with 3D pattern and chrome finish gearknob (AMT only).
- Comfort & Convenience: Front passenger seat back pocket, rear AC vents, all power windows, auto down function for driver window, electrically adjustable ORVMs, power foldable ORVMs (AMT only), front & rear power outlet, C-type fast USB charger, passenger vanity mirror and rear parcel tray.
- Infotainment: 8-inch touchscreen infotainment, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, front & rear speakers, voice recognition, and steering-mounted controls.
- Safety: Tyre pressure monitoring system, day/night IRVM, electronic stability control (AMT only), hill hold assist (AMT only) and vehicle stability management (AMT only).
Verdict: Available with all powertrain options, the S variant seems a bit overpriced considering the number of valuable additional features over the EX trim.
3. Hyundai Exter SX
|Ex-Showroom Price||Rs 8 lakh (MT), Rs 8.68 lakh (AMT)||Rs 8.97 lakh|
|Premium over S variant||Rs 73,000||Rs 73,000|
Key Features (over S variant): –
- Exterior: Projector headlamps, turn indicators on side mirrors, black roof rails, black rear spoiler (petrol only), 15-inch dual-tone steel wheels, diamond-cut alloy wheels (in dual-tone version only) and B pillar & window line black-out tape.
- Interior: Sporty metal pedals (AMT only), fabric + leather seats, map lamp, metal finish door handles.
- Comfort & Convenience: Sunroof, paddle shifters (AMT only), tilt steering, cruise control (petrol only), auto AC, and electric folding ORVMs.
- Safety: Electronic stability control (ESC), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), rear defogger, rear parking camera with display on audio, and ISOFIX child seat anchors.
Verdict: The mid-spec SX trim offers the most value-for-money among all variants in the Hyundai Exter lineup, offering a good balance between comfort, safety and convenience features.
4. Hyundai Exter SX (O)
|Ex-Showroom Price||Rs 8.64 lakh (MT) and Rs 9.32 lakh (AMT)|
|Premium over SX variant||Rs 64,000|
Key Features (over SX variant): –
- Exterior: Diamond-cut alloy wheels.
- Interior: Footwell lighting, leather-wrapped steering wheel & gearknob.
- Comfort & Convenience: Automatic headlamps, smart keyless entry, push-button start, wireless smartphone charger, cooled glove box, and rear wiper & washer.
Verdict: For the price premium of Rs 64,000, the SX (O) trim gets a host of convenience features that will enhance your overall ownership experience.
5. Hyundai Exter SX (O) Connect
|Ex-Showroom Price||Rs 9.32 lakh (MT), Rs 9.99 lakh (AMT)|
|Premium over SX (O) variant||Rs 68,000|
Key Features (over SX (O) variant): –
- Exterior: Front & rear mudguard.
- Comfort & Convenience: Telematics switches on IRVM.
- Infotainment: HD infotainment system, BlueLink-connected car technology, ambient sound of nature, OTA updates support, Home to car (H2C) with Alexa,
- Safety: Dashcam with dual camera.
Verdict: Save for the dual dashcam, no other feature adds any significant value to its overall packaging.