EXCLUSIVE: Hyundai’s Micro SUV To Rival Tata Punch Will Be Called EXTER
The upcoming Hyundai micro SUV for India, previously referred to by its code name Ai3, now has a name. Hyundai has announced that the SUV will be called the EXTER.
With the launch of the EXTER, Hyundai will finally make its much-anticipated foray into the micro SUV segment in India. It will rival the likes of Tata Punch, Citroen C3 and Maruti Ignis in the Indian market.
Although information about the Hyundai Exter is currently limited, the official teaser suggests that the SUV will have an upright stance. Hyundai says the design of the EXTER is inspired by the natural world, which creates an external-focused identity that is reflective of its surroundings.
Previous spy shots of the Exter have also confirmed quirky exterior bits like H-shaped LED DRL, tail lights, angular spoked alloy wheels, heavy body cladding, and roof rails.
What else do we know about Hyundai Exter?
- It has been reported that Hyundai plans to commence production of the Exter in Q3 of 2023.
- The Exter is expected to share its platform and powertrain options with the Grand i10 Nios and could measure around 3.8m in length. Having said that, it is likely to be powered by the brand’s 1.2L naturally aspirated petrol engine, mated to either a manual gearbox or an AMT unit.
- Unlikely to get a diesel engine option.
- Anticipated to be packed with numerous high-end features, the SUV may include an electric sunroof, a floating touchscreen infotainment system, a wireless smartphone charger, automatic climate control, and a digital instrument cluster.
- Expect the prices of the Exter to start from around Rs 6 lakh (ex-showroom).