5th-Gen Jeep Grand Cherokee Launched In India
Jeep India has finally launched the 5th-generation iteration of the Grand Cherokee in India. Available in a single, fully-loaded ‘Limited O’ variant, the flagship Grand Cherokee costs Rs 77.5 lakh (introductory, ex-showroom pan-India). It will be locally assembled at the brand’s Ranjangaon facility in Pune, Maharashtra.
Jeep Grand Cherokee – Engine and Gearbox
At the heart of the Grand Cherokee is a 2-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that dishes out 272PS of maximum power and 400Nm of peak torque. Transmission duties are taken care of by an 8-speed torque converter automatic and Quadra-Trac 4×4 system. It also benefits from Jeep’s Selec-Terrain management system.
Design and Features
True to its name, the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks absolute grand. It is huge and gets a boxy shell, with the front facia dominated by its signature seven-slat grille with chrome embellishments, sandwiched between sleek LED headlights, each with horizontal LED daytime running lamps.
Profile-wise, it sports squared wheel arches that house 20-inch alloy wheels, and blacked door pillars that mimic a floating roof. At the rear are the sleek LED tail lamps, linked by a black strip sporting the ‘Jeep’ insignia.
- Audi Q5 Gets A Special Edition At Rs 67.05 Lakh
- Locally Assembled Mercedes-EQS 580 Electric Sedan Launched In India
Jeep is offering the new Grand Cherokee in four colour options: Diamond Black Crystal, Rocky Mountain, Bright White, and Velvet Red.
Offered in a 5-seater configuration, the Jeep Grand Cherokee gets an all-black interior theme, with silver accents on the dashboard and centre console, giving it a luxurious look.
As for features, the Indian-spec Grand Cherokee comes with all the whistles & bells, including: –
- A quartet screen setup: a 10.25-inch digital driver’s display, 10-inch heads-up display, and a 10.1-inch centre infotainment touchscreen
- An optional 10.25-inch display on the passenger side
- Panoramic sunroof
- Ventilated seats
- Capri leather upholstery
- Active noise cancellation
- Powered tailgate
- Ambient lighting
- 9-speakers sound system
- Four drive modes: Sand/Mud, Snow, Auto and Sport
- 8 Airbags
- 360-degree camera
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) further comprise adaptive cruise control, auto-emergency braking, blind spot detection, rear cross-traffic monitoring, lane departure warning & lane-keeping assist, and forward-collision prevention with pedestrian and intersection detection.
In the Indian market, the Jeep Grand Cherokee goes up against the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, BMW X5 and Mercedes-Benz GLE.