Tata Motors has finally taken the wraps off the all-electric iteration of the Punch SUV dubbed “Punch.ev”. This marks the fourth EV from Tata, after the Tiago EV, Tigor EV and Nexon EV. Interested customers can now make their bookings for a token amount of Rs 21,000. Its prices are expected to be revealed in the coming months.
Tata Punch.ev’s Dynamic Platform, Powertrain Diversity
- The Punch.ev is based on an all-new EV-dedicated platform called the Acti.ev architecture. It supports multiple body styles, and will also underpin the upcoming Curvv EV, Sierra EV and Harrier EV.
- Similar to other Tata platforms, this new architecture also prioritises safety, and the carmaker has asserted that its high-strength steel structure has been designed to achieve a 5-star safety rating in crash tests.
- This EV architecture also supports both single motor (either front-wheel or rear-wheel drivetrain) as well as dual motor all-wheel drivetrain setups.
- While technical details about the battery packs it can support are still under wraps, it can offer a range between 300-600 kilometres on a single charge.
- Regarding charging, this is a 400V EV platform, which can support charging speeds up to 150kW.
- Being an EV-only platform, it also focuses on better cabin space management.
Nexon.ev Influence In Design
Tata Punch.ev draws its design inspiration from the 2023 Nexon.ev, featuring a closed-off grille adorned with an LED DRL strip spanning the width of the car. Below, you’ll find the projector LED headlamps setup in triangular housings, connected by a large split air dam.
From the sides, the overall silhouette of the Punch.ev is similar to its ICE version. However, it gets a new design for the 16-inch alloy wheels and “.ev” badges on the lower part of the front doors.
Towards the back, changes can be seen in the form of updated LED taillamps and a silver skid plate.
New Cabin and Features
Step inside, and you’ll find the cabin of the Tata Punch has been redesigned to include new elements like reworked central AC vents, a tweaked centre console, fresh leather upholstery, a bigger 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system, a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster and a new 2-spoke steering wheel with illuminated Tata logo.
The other notable features of the new electrified Tata Punch include
- Apple Carplay and Android Auto
- iRA-connected car tech
- Rotary gear selector with an integrated display
- Auto AC
- Wireless smartphone charger
- Cruise control
- Single-pane electric sunroof
- Ventilated front seats
- Air purifier
- Electronic parking brakes with auto hold function
- Multi-level regen
- Six airbags
- Electronic stability control
- 360-degree surround view system with blind-spot monitoring
Expected Price and Competitors
Expect Tata to price the Punch.ev from around Rs 12 lakh (ex-showroom). Once launched, it will compete against the likes of Citroen eC3.