Hyundai has commenced the pre-booking of new i20 from today. Interested buyers can book the new generation hatch either online or at authorised dealerships by paying a token amount of Rs 21,000. With this, Hyundai has also revealed the variant-wise engine availability details of the upcoming hatchback. Here are the details: –
1.2-litre Petrol with 5-speed manual
1.2-litre Petrol with CVT
1.0-litre turbo Petrol with 6-speed iMT
1.0-litre turbo Petrol with 7-speed DCT
1.5-litre diesel with 6-speed manual
- The new generation Hyundai i20 will be available in four variants: Magna, Sportz, Asta & Asta (O), whereas the second-generation (ongoing model) is available in three trim only: Magna+, Sportz+ and Asta (O).
- New Hyundai i20 will get two petrol and one diesel engine options.
- Only the Petrol variants will get the exclusivity of the automatic gearbox, and that too with separate units for both petrol engines.
- A 5-speed manual transmission will be standard with the 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine across the variant line-up.
- Options of CVT automatic and clutch pedal free manual gearbox (iMT) will only be available with the Sportz & Asta trims.
- The 1.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine will not be offered with a conventional manual transmission
- If you want new i20 hatch with dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT) than second-to-top Asta and the fully-loaded Asta (O) variants are the only options.
- The 1.5-litre diesel engine will be available only with a 6-speed manual gearbox.
- Each variant except the Asta trim will come with the diesel powertrain choice.
Hyundai hasn't shared the engine specifications yet. But we believe their output is likely to be similar to the Venue sub-4m SUV with whom the new i20 shares its powertrain. Here are the details of the expected specifications: –
No of Cylinders
5-speed manual / CVT
6-speed iMT / 7-speed DCT
As far as the colours options are concerned, the new i20 will be offered in a total of eight colour choices.
Monotone palettes – (With All Variants)
- Polar White
- Typhoon Silver
- Titan Grey
- Fiery Red
- Starry Night
- Metallic Copper
Dual-tone palettes – [Only with Sportz, Asta and Asta (O)]
- Polar White with Black Roof
- Fiery Red with Black Roof
Hyundai is still to share the details of the variant-wise features. But its top-line Asta (O) variant is likely to get premium equipment like all-LED lighting system, electric sunroof, sharkfin antenna, a 10.25-inch floating touchscreen infotainment system with Hyundai's BlueLink connected car technology, Android Auto & Apple Carplay smartphone connectivity, digital instrument cluster, automatic climate control, rear AC vents, wireless mobile charging, Bose premium sound system, auto-dimming IRVM, ambient lighting, air purifier with perfume dispenser and many more.
We expect 2020 Hyundai i20's pricing to start around Rs 6 lakh (ex-showroom). In the premium hatchback segment, it will continue to take on the Tata Altroz, Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Toyota Glanza, Honda Jazz, and Volkswagen Polo.