Mahindra Thar 4×4 To Become More Affordable With New AX Trim
In recent months, the Mahindra Thar has experienced a significant drop in starting price due to the introduction of 4×2 rear-wheel-drive variants. Now, according to a recently leaked RTO document, Mahindra appears to be considering bringing back the discontinued AX 4×4 variant.
Why is it making a comeback?
By doing so, the Thar could remain competitively priced in comparison to the upcoming five-door Maruti Suzuki Jimny, which will get a 4×4 drivetrain as standard fitment.
As per the document, the Mahindra Thar AX 4×4 trim will be offered with both petrol and diesel powertrains, paired with only a manual gearbox.
- Mahindra Thar 4×2 Variants Get Expensive By Rs 50,000
- Mahindra Thar 4×4 To Soon Offered In White Colour Option
- As of now, Mahindra offers the Thar in two trim levels: AX (O) and LX.
- Both can be had with three engine options: 1.5-litre diesel (118PS/300Nm), 2.2-litre diesel (130PS/300Nm) and 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol (150PS/320Nm).
- While the 1.5-litre diesel motor is exclusive to the rear-wheel drive (RWD) variants, the bigger 2.2-litre oil burner is exclusive to the 4×4 trims.
- The petrol mill can be had with both 4×2 and 4×4 drivetrains.
- Transmission options include a 6-speed manual as standard and a 6-speed torque converter automatic gearbox limited to the 2-litre turbocharged petrol and 2.2-litre diesel units.
Currently, the 4×4 variants of Mahindra Thar are priced from Rs 13.59 lakh to Rs 16.49 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). With the introduction of the new base-spec trim, expect the price range to go down by a significant margin.