Mahindra Clarifies Rumors About Unveiling 5-Door Thar
Rumours had spread in the media about the global unveiling of the 5-door Mahindra Thar on August 15 at an event in South Africa. However, the SUVmaker has now officially denied such buzzes.
In its official statement, Mahindra has stated that –
”With reference to multiple media reports indicating that the much-awaited Mahindra Thar 5-Door will debut at a Mahindra Event in South Africa on August 15, we would like to clarify that the launch is not scheduled for this year. During the recently concluded Quarter Results media interaction, we confirmed that the launch of the Thar 5-Door is scheduled for 2024 in India.”
Mahindra Thar 5 Door – What We Know So Far?
- The 5-door Mahindra Thar is expected to be launched in early 2024 as a more practical alternative to its ongoing 3-door version.
- It is expected to receive the same 2-litre turbocharged petrol and 2.2-litre diesel engine options as its smaller counterpart; however, the engine tuning could be different to suit its added length and weight.
- A smaller 1.5-litre diesel engine option could also be offered to make its price competitive.
- Mahindra is likely to offer it in both rear-wheel drive (RWD) and four-wheel drive (4WD) configurations.
- Design-wise, the SUV will look similar to its 3-door counterpart, save for the extra set of doors, adding to its practicality.
- It is also expected to receive a host of new features, including an LED lighting system and a single-pane electric sunroof.
- Expect the 5-door Thar to command a significant price premium over its existing model, which currently retails between Rs 10.54 lakh to Rs 16.78 lakh (ex-showroom).