Volkswagen Virtus Scored 5-stars In Latin NCAP Crash Test
Global NCAP recently awarded the Skoda Kushaq and Volkswagen Taigun with five stars safety rating. And now, the made-in-India Volkswagen Virtus mid-size sedan has also received the full five stars in the latest rounds of crash tests conducted by LATIN NCAP. However, it is worth noting that the crash-tested model was also having Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) and Collision Avoidance Assist (CAA) systems over its Indian-spec version.
- The Volkswagen Virtus has scored 92 percent for adult occupation protection and child occupant safety in LATIN NCAP crash test. It earned an 82 percent Safety Assist (SA) rating, while getting a 57 percent Pedestrian Protection (PP) rating.
- In the front impact crash test, the Volkswagen Virtus offered good protection to both front occupants’ head, neck and knees. Protection for the driver’s chest was adequate, while it was good for the passenger’s chest. There was adequate protection for the driver’s & passenger’s left tibias, and good protection for the passenger’s right tibia.
- The side pole impact test showed good protection for the head, abdomen, and pelvis, but marginal protection for the chest.
- Its footwell and bodyshell have been rated stable, and the latter can withstand further abuse.
- For the Child Occupants Protection test, both the three-year-old and 1.5-year-old child dummies were installed in rearward-facing seats with support legs. Child dummies’ heads were fully protected, and the child seats provided enough shielding during side impact tests. The ISOFIX anchorages also satisfy I-size marking requirements.
- It also received high marks from Latin NCAP for having three-point seat belts for all three rear occupants.
- Volkswagen Virtus did not provide adequate pedestrian protection, especially for the upper leg of pedestrians.
Based on Latin NCAP’s testing of the Volkswagen Virtus, its Indian-spec version is also expected to score similarly. The Skoda Slavia would likely also achieve a similar score, considering it has essentially the same chassis under its skin.