Tata’s highly popular Safari three-row SUV has recently undergone a mid-life facelift update, encompassing updated styling inside & out, and an array of new features. These change have led it to a significant price hike of over Rs 2 lakh, making it now range between Rs 16.19 lakh and Rs 27.34 lakh (ex-showroom). In light of these developments, let’s analyze how the 2023 Tata Safari stack up against its chief rivals like Mahindra XUV700, MG Hector Plus and Hyundai Alcazar?
Note: Since the Tata Safari is only available with a diesel engine, we’ll only be comparing the diesel variants of its rivals.
Let’s start with the manual variants: –
|2023 Tata Safari||Mahindra XUV700||MG Hector Plus||Hyundai Alcazar|
|Smart: Rs 16.19 lakh||MX (5-Seater): Rs 14.46 lakh||Smart (7-Seater): Rs 19.76 lakh||Prestige (7-Seater) – Rs 17.73 lakh|
|Smart (O): Rs 16.69 lakh||MX E (5-Seater): Rs 14.97 lakh||Smart Pro (6-Seater): Rs 20.80 lakh||Platinum (7-Seater): Rs 19.64 lakh|
|Pure: Rs 17.69 lakh||AX3 (5-Seater): Rs 16.94 lakh||Sharp Pro (6/7-Seater): Rs 22.41 lakh||Platinum Adventure (7-Seater): Rs 20 lakh|
|Pure (O): Rs 18.19 lakh||AX3 E (5-Seater): Rs 17.44 lakh||Signature (6-Seater) Rs 20.13 lakh|
|Pure+: Rs 19.39 lakh||AX3 (7-Seater): Rs 17.77 lakh|
|Pure+ S: Rs 20.39 lakh||AX3 E (7-Seater): Rs 18.27 lakh|
|Pure+ #DARK: Rs 20.69 lakh||AX5 (5-Seater): Rs 18.43 lakh|
|Adventure: Rs 20.99 lakh||AX5 (7-Seater): Rs 19.10 lakh|
|Adventure+: Rs 22.49 lakh||AX7 (7-Seater) Rs 21.53 lakh|
|Adventure+ #DARK: Rs 23.04 lakh||AX7 L (7-Seater): Rs 23.48 lakh|
|Adventure+ A: Rs 23.49 lakh|
|Accomplished: Rs 23. 99 lakh|
|Accomplished #DARK: Rs 24.34 lakh|
|Accomplished+: Rs 25.49 lakh|
|Accomplished+ #DARK: Rs 25.84 lakh|
|Accomplished+ 6-Seater: Rs 25.59 lakh|
|Accomplished+ #DARK 6-Seater: Rs 25.94 lakh|
- The 5-seater variants of the Mahindra XUV700 are the most budget friendly option.
- If we exclusively consider the 7-seater variants, the Tata Safari Smart variant boasts the lowest entry price point, whereas the base-spec MG Hector Plus has the highest among all.
- The Hyundai Alcazar has the second most affordable starting price when considering only the 7-seater variants. In fact, its range-topping Signature 6-seater trim is up to Rs 5.81 lakh more affordable than the Safari’s Accomplished+ #DARK 6-Seater trim. However, it is worth noting that the Safari offers a more powerful diesel engine and tons of additional features compared to the Korean SUV.
|2023 Tata Safari||Mahindra XUV700||Hyundai Alcazar|
|Pure+: Rs 20.69 lakh||AX3 (5-Seater): Rs 18.93 lakh||Prestige (O) (7-Seater): Rs 19.20 lakh|
|Pure+ S: Rs 21.79 lakh||AX5 (5-Seater): Rs 20.30 lakh||Platinum (O) (6/7-Seater): Rs 20.76 lakh|
|Pure+ #DARK: Rs 22.09 lakh||AX5 (7-Seater): Rs 20.92 lakh||Signature (O) (6/7-Seater): Rs 20.88 lakh|
|Adventure+: Rs 23.89 lakh||AX7 (7-Seater) Rs 23.31 lakh||Signature (O) Adventure (7-Seater): Rs 21.24 lakh|
|Adventure+ #DARK: Rs 24.44 lakh||AX7 AWD (7-Seater): Rs 24.78 lakh|
|Adventure+ A: Rs 24.89 lakh||AX7 L (7-Seater): Rs 25.26 lakh|
|Accomplished: Rs 25.39 lakh||AX7 L AWD (7-Seater): Rs 26.57 lakh|
|Accomplished #DARK: Rs 25.74 lakh|
|Accomplished+: Rs 26.89 lakh|
|Accomplished+ #DARK: Rs 27.24 lakh|
|Accomplished+ 6-Seater: Rs 26.99 lakh|
|Accomplished+ #DARK 6-Seater: Rs 27.34 lakh|
- When it comes to diesel-automatic, the Hyundai Alcazar stands out as the most affordable choice, whereas the Tata Safari is the most expensive.
- The Mahindra XUV700 is the sole option that can be had with an optional all-wheel-drive system (AWD).
Now, here’s a look at their diesel engine specifications: –
|2023 Tata Safari||Hyundai Alcazar||Mahindra XUV700||MG Hector Plus|
|Engine||2-litre turbo-diesel||1.5-litre diesel||2.2-litre turbo-diesel||2-litre turbo-diesel|
|Transmission||6-speed MT / 6-speed AT||6-speed MT / 6-speed AT||Lower Variants: 6-speed MT|
Higher Variants: 6-speed MT / 6-speed AT
|Power||170PS||116PS||Lower Variants: 155PS|
Higher Variants: 185PS
|Torque||350Nm||250Nm||Lower Variants: 360Nm|
Higher Variants: Up to 450Nm
|Drivetrain||FWD||FWD||Lower Variants: FWD|
Higher Variants: FWD / AWD (only with AT)