Nexon EV, the flagship electric offering from Tata Motors, has crossed the 2,000-unit milestone in India. It is a huge achievement for the Indian maker as the electric version of Tata Nexon was launched on 28th January 2020, and in this very short span of time (over 10 months), the brand has achieved 2,200-unit sales (as of Nov 2020). In fact, the brand has rolled out the 1,000th unit of Nexon EV in August, and the car recorded 1,000 sales units in just 3 months (Sept-Nov 2020). It clearly shows the exceptional interest of buyers for EVs in the personal car segment.
With this, the Tata Nexon EV has become the best-selling electric car in the country. Currently, Tata Motors is heading the EV segment with a 74% market share. The brand is also working to promote the faster adoption of electric vehicles in India, For that, Tata had introduced the e-mobility ecosystem in past called “Tata uniEVerse” which aims to create an EV friendly environment by offering charging solutions, innovative retail experiences, and easy financing options.
Commenting on the achievement, Mr. Shailesh Chandra, President of Passenger Vehicle Business Unit, Tata Motors, said: –
“This is a moment of great pride for us and those working with us in our journey to accelerate the adoption of EVs in India. The Tata Nexon EV, since launch, has captured the imagination of the entire nation and has consistently led the way for the electric vehicle segment. Offering thrilling performance, a connected drive experience with zero emissions, and attractive pricing, the Nexon EV has found widespread acceptance among its customers. This growing demand is on the back of increased awareness, growing charging infrastructure, encouraging government incentives, breaking myths that surround EVs, and most importantly the undisputed benefits that it offers i.e. lower operating cost. Further, with the continued support from the government in terms of incentives such as benefits on registration and road tax, we hope that EVs will soon become the most desirable and a mainstream choice for the customers in India.”
Also Read: Tata Nexon EV Gets Dearer By Rs 26,000
About Tata Nexon EV
- Design: – Tata Nexon EV has a similar design to its IC-engine version. However, to differentiate both models, Tata EV features blue color highlights both inside & outside.
- Battery Pack: – The Nexon EV is a front-wheel-drive (FWD) sub-4meter SUV that uses Tata’s ZipTron EV technology. It draws its power from a 30.2kWh lithium-ion battery, which powers a permanent-magnet AC motor, producing 129PS of maximum power and 245Nm of peak torque.
- Range: – The Nexon EV claims an ARAI range of 312km on a full charge. However, in the real world, it can easily cover over 230 km range, depending upon the driving style, road condition, braking frequency, and load on the car.
- Acceleration and Top Speed: – The Nexon EV can do 0-100kmph in just 9.9 seconds. The top speed of the car is limited to 120kmph.
- Charging Time: – Tata Nexon EV can be charged from 0-80% in just 1 hour with the help of the DC fast-charging system. However, an AC home wall box charger takes up to 8 hours to juice it up from 20 to 80%.
- Features: – Nexon EV shares its features list with its ICE counterpart. The key features include a 7.0-inch touchscreen infotainment system, Android Auto, and Apple Carplay connectivity, connected car technology, a semi-digital instrument cluster with a 7-inch TFT display, auto climate control, auto headlamps, LED DRLs, electric sunroof, height-adjustable driver seat, etc.
- Variants & Price: – It is available in three variants: XM, XZ+, and XZ+ Lux. Here are the prices: –
Tata Nexon EV
Rs 13.99 lakh
Rs 15.25 lakh
It is also available on a subscription basis plan.
- Competitors: – Currently, Tata Nexon EV doesn’t have any direct rival. The other long-range offerings, Hyundai Kona Electric and MG ZS EV SUVs are very expensive in comparison to Nexon. For reference, the Hyundai Kona Electric is priced between Rs 23.75 lakh and Rs 23.94 lakh, whereas the MG ZS EV retails at Rs 20.88 lakh to Rs 23.58 lakh (all prices ex-showroom).