Tata Motors has launched the new Safari SUV at a starting price of Rs 14.69 lakh (introductory, ex-showroom Delhi). It is Tata's new flagship model in the Indian market. Based on the Harrier SUV, Safari is offered in both 6-&7-seating configurations. It also gets some cosmetical tweaks, features add-ons, and a bigger dimension over the 5-seater Harrier. With this, Tata Motors' stake in the mid-size SUV segment has become stronger. So, let’s find out how it fares against its competitors in the 7-seater mid-size SUV space: –
Tata Safari Vs MG Hector Plus Vs Mahindra XUV500 – Diesel Variants Price Comparison
|2021 Tata Safari variants||Prices||MG Hector Plus||Prices||Mahindra XUV500||Prices|
|XE||Rs 14.69 lakh|
Rs 14.66 lakh
|W5||Rs 13.83 lakh|
|XM||Rs 16 lakh||Super (7-seat)||Rs 15.76 lakh||W7||Rs 15.13 lakh|
|XMA||Rs 17.25 lakh||Super (6-seat)||Rs 16 lakh||W7 (Automatic)||Rs 16.33 lakh|
|XT||Rs 17.45 lakh||Smart (7-seat)||Rs 17.62 lakh||W9||Rs 16.83 lakh|
|XT+||Rs 18.25 lakh||Smart (6-seat)||Rs 17.72 lakh||W9 (Automatic)||Rs 18.04 lakh|
|XZ||Rs 19.15 lakh||Select (7-seat)||Rs 18.43 lakh||W11 (O)||Rs 18.33 lakh|
|XZA||Rs 20.40 lakh||Sharp (6-seat)||Rs 19.23 lakh||W11 (O) (Automatic)||Rs 19.56 lakh|
|XZ+||Rs 19.99 lakh|
|XZA+||Rs 21.25 lakh|
|Adventure Edition (Manual)||Rs 20.20 lakh|
|Adventure Edition (Automatic)||Rs 21.45 lakh|
*All prices, ex-showroom Delhi.
- It is important to note that Safari and XUV500 are only available with the diesel engine. Hence, we haven't mentioned the prices of Hector Plus's petrol models.
- The prices of Safari are introductory and will be revised in near future.
- As the above table indicates, Tata Safari is being offered in 6 variants– XE, XM, XT, XT+, XZ, and XZ+. The Adventure Edition is based on the XZ+ variant and comes with minor cosmetic differences.
- Tata has priced the 2021 Safari from Rs 14.69 lakh to Rs 21.45 lakh (ex-showroom). With this, it is the costliest 7-seater offering of the segment. Even it has the highest entry-level price here. It is approximately Rs 86,000 more expensive than the base-spec Mahindra XUV500 W5.
- Only the entry-level and mid-spec variants of the 2021 Safari are within a competitive range.
- The price difference between the top-end manual-variants of Safari and Hector Plus is around Rs 76,000 (considering XZ+ as the top trim). The difference further stretches to Rs 1.69 lakh for top-spec automatic variants of Safari and XUV500. Considering the Adventure Edition as top-end trim will increase the price discord even more.
- Talking about the powertrains, the Safari and Hector Plus are offered with the same fiat-sourced 2.0-liter turbocharged diesel engine that generates 170PS and 350Nm. While the Hector Plus diesel only comes with a 6-speed manual gearbox, the Safari can be had with either a 6-speed manual or a torque converter automatic transmission.
- The XUV500 is available with a 2.2-liter diesel engine (155PS/360Nm), with the choice of 6-speed manual and automatic gearboxes. Soon it will get a generation update.