India’s highly-popular lifestyle off-road vehicle, the Mahindra Thar, is all set to get rear-wheel drive (RWD) variants soon. While official details about the same are yet to be revealed, a leaked brochure of the SUV has disclosed some crucial details about the upcoming variants. Here’re the details: –
- Engine Options: The RWD variants of the Mahindra Thar will be available with either the 152PS 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol or a new 118PS 1.5-litre diesel engine. The oil burner will only be available with a 6-speed manual transmission, whereas the gasoline mill will get a 6-speed torque converter automatic-only in RWD configuration. The 2.2-litre diesel engine in 4×4 configuration will continue to be available, with a choice of manual and automatic transmissions.
- Variants: The new 1.5-litre diesel engine will be standard across the lineup. However, the Petrol-RWD configuration will only be available in the top-spec LX trim. Here’s the complete variant breakup: –
|Mahindra Thar Powertrain Options||Variants Available|
|1.5-litre diesel with manual – 4×2 (RWD)||AX (O), LX|
|2-litre turbo-petrol with automatic – 4×2||LX|
|2-litre turbo-petrol with manual- 4×4 (4WD)||AX (O), LX|
|2-litre turbo-petrol with automatic – 4×4||LX|
|2.2-litre diesel with manual – 4×4||AX (O), LX|
|2.2-litre diesel with automatic – 4×4||LX|
- New Colours: With the introduction of Mahindra Thar’s new RWD variants, the carmaker will also introduce two new body shades for the SUV – Blazing Bronze and Everest White.
- Cosmetic Changes: While the exterior of the off-road will remain the same, there will be a rearranged stack of switches in the centre console.
- Prices will be reduced: Currently, the prices of Mahindra Thar 4×4 start from around Rs 13.59 lakh (ex-showroom). However, with the launch of these new 1.5L diesel-RWD variants, we expect the off-roader’s entry-level price point to come down by around Rs 2.5 lakh.