Honda Elevate Won’t Get Hybrid Engine; EV Confirmed!
- Honda Cars India has finally forayed into the mid-size SUV segment with the all-new Elevate SUV.
- Built on the same platform as the 5th-gen City, there were high hopes for it to get the sedan’s fully hybrid engine option. However, the dream was dashed when it was unveiled yesterday.
- The Elevate will only be offered with a 121PS 1.5-litre petrol engine, mated to either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed CVT automatic transmission. However, the brand has confirmed that it will receive an electric powertrain by 2026.
- Unfortunately, there are no plans for a hybrid powertrain in the future for the Honda Elevate.
Why Honda isn’t bringing the hybrid powertrain for Elevate?
Though the exact reason is not clear, it is assumed that the absence of the hybrid powertrain in the Elevate SUV could be attributed to the high costs involved, as Honda does not localize hybrid technology in India. Also, Honda is struggling to keep up with the demand for City e:HEV.
Five New SUVs Incoming
- Honda Cars India has also revealed its ambitious plan to launch five new SUVs in the Indian market by 2030, which should encompass both internal combustion engine (ICE) as well as all-electric models.
- As previously mentioned, an electric variant of the Elevate SUV is also expected to be included among these upcoming offerings.