The BMW 7 Series Protection, equipped with advanced blast resistance technology, has finally made its shores to the Indian market. This cutting-edge addition to BMW’s renowned luxury lineup sets a new standard for safety and protection, offering discerning customers unparalleled peace of mind with the VR9 level of protection. While its prices are yet to be revealed, it is expected to be in the ballpark of Rs 15 crores (ex-showroom).
Here, delve into the details of this groundbreaking release and explore the exceptional features that define the BMW 7 Series 760i Protection xDrive VR9 variant.
Design-wise, the 7 Series Protection looks similar to its regular model; however, the company has made significant modifications beneath the surface to ensure blast resistance.
- To start with, the chassis of this version has been made of 10mm thick ballistic steel, which allows it to resist explosions.
- The glasses are very thick with multi-layered bullet-resistant glazing, while the underbody gets supplementary armouring to safeguard against explosives, equivalent to withstand the impact of 2 hand grenades.
- The glass windows are VPAM 10 classified – the highest level of protection for civilian-protected vehicles. Furthermore, the armoured structure can be optionally upgraded to provide VPAM 10 protection as well.
- The fuel tank is equipped with self-sealing capabilities, while the tyres are Michelin-sourced 255-740 R510 run-flat units, capable of covering approximately 30km at a speed of up to 80kmph, even in the event of complete pressure loss.
- In addition to its standard safety features, the 7 Series Protection vehicle offers customization package options to accommodate various safety needs. You can personalize it with features such as a fresh-air supply system, a fire extinguishing system, flashing lights, radio transceivers, and flag poles for official use.
- Under the bonnet, the BMW 7 Series Protection has the same 4.4-litre V8 petrol engine as the regular model, which makes 530PS of max power and 750Nm of peak torque. Remarkably, despite its huge weight of 4,000kg, this sedan can accelerate from 0-100 kmph in just 6.6 seconds before hitting a top speed of 209kmph. It comes paired with an 8-speed automatic gearbox driving all four wheels of the car. It also features a rear-wheel steering system for better handling, especially around the corners.
- In the Indian market, the 7 Series Protection will face competition from the Audi A8L Security.